Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Insurance Available

4-16-10

Q. I’m over 50 and have been turned away by health insurers who either won’t sell me coverage or charge so much I can’t afford to buy it, all because of my health problems. How long do I have to wait before I can get covered?

A. If you have preexisting medical conditions and have been unable to get health insurance for at least six months, you should be eligible to buy coverage through a temporary federally funded program called a “high-risk pool.” Under the new law, this option – expected to be available by July – will cover about 2 million men and women in your situation. Older members cannot be charged more than four times what younger members pay for this coverage, and out-of-pocket expenses are limited to $5,950 for an individual or $11,900 for a family this year.
More answers at aarp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment